Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I'm Sick of It

Is there anywhere in these United States that has fully accessible transportation for those of us who don't drive?  Fully accessible means more than getting us to the doctor, work, and school, with maybe a shopping center nearby.    The sooner public transit and paratransit systems realize this the better for all of us.  Next Tuesday there's yet another event we can't independently attend.

Georgia Cyber Academy has gone all out for their Stone Mountain meet and greet.  We're to  "We will be meeting for fun, games, music, crafts, bounce houses, competitions, student performers and more!"  To add to that Stone Mountains has lots of things for visitors to see and do.  Andrea and I were looking forward to it until I called MARTA's para-transit for a ride. 

The MARTA representative said the van will let us out at the west gate to Stone Mountain Park but she didn't know how far that is from the Fireside Pavilion, where I need to be.  She said, "It's a big place.  You should call them to find out.  She was nice enough to give me the number to Stone Mountain park.

I call the park and get disappointing news.  According to the lady at the park the Fireside Pavilion is two and a half miles from the west gate where the para-transit will be letting us off.  I ask if there's a shuttle and she says the shuttle only runs on weekends.

We already got volleyball practice moved because of this event.  More than likely we'll stay home and do schoolwork.  There are roads running through this park.  GCA sent out directions for parking near the pavillion.  I don't understand why the para-transit can't travel these same roads.

I don't want to ask for a ride because I want to leave on my own schedule.  I don't know how many of the GCA activities we'll participate in.  We're mainly going to take pictures and may want to stay longer than a ride may.  I'll have to thing about the pros and cons of asking a neighbor or another GCA family.  Sometimes I want to do things with just us.

I flet Pine Bluff because I wanted Andrea and myself to be able to do more things.  We missed out in pine Bluff because the busses were very limited in range and hours.  Here we have both for the most part and I know I should be grateful.  But as they say the more you have the more you want.  I want more.  I want to decide not to go someplace because of my own reasons, not because I can't get there without involving somebody else, their schedule, and desires.  I am so looking forward to a year of freedom between when Andrea gets her license and when she leaves for college. 

No comments:

Post a Comment