Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Homework

An assignment for Andrea's music appreciation classes states they must attend a concert and write a report about it.  If the attend a live concert and attach the program to their report they will get extra credit.  Straight forward in theory buy oh, so frustrating in practice. 

We decide extra credit is the was to go.  I have Andrea find a free concert held before the due date of the report.  She finds a string quartet holding a performance at the Emory University Planetarium.  The Marta map says no bus goes by there so I call para-transit.  I tell the MARTA rep where we're going and that the concert starts at 7:00 p.m.  I had already called Emory to find out what time the concert ends and they didn't know.  I was told to call back tomorrow and they will have found out by then.  The man said concerts usually last an hour and a half to two hours.  I told MARTA to pick us up at 9:15 for the trip home.  I was told we'd be picked up at 5:30 from home.  This seemed reasonable.  I was dead wrong.

So we get ready and 5:30 comes and goes.  At 6:00 I call to see where the van is.  I'm told he's dropping somebody off in Lithonia and will be picking us up in about twenty minutes.  After we get on the van we suffer through a pick up and drop off of another person.  It is after 7:30 before we get to the Emory Planetarium.

Sigh of relief; we can finally hear the music.  Not so.  the lady at the door informs us that the planetarium is filled to capacity.  I'm dumbfounded but persistant.  "Is there some place we can listen?" I ask.  I don't know why I asked that because not a peep could be heard from where we were.  She said there wasn't.  I ask about a program, I explain about the extra credit for a live concert.  I hoping Andrea's teacher will give her the extra credit if she knows Andrea tried so hard to go to a live concert.  The lady at the door said they were all out of programs but she'd write a note explaining the situation.  The lady wrote the note and I took a picture of Andrea outside the building with the name displayed so her teacher will know we tried.  We stayed close to the entrance in case someone left early.  Everyone stayed to the end around 8:00 p.m.

Now we have a long wait until we're picked up.  What a waste.  I told Andrea to go on Youtube and find a concert to report on.  


No comments:

Post a Comment