Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Little But.....

...prescriptions still went up.

I get my medical care and prescriptions through Grady Memorial Hospital.  Grady has a charity division which allows residents of Fulton and DeKalb counties to receive reduced priced medical care and prescriptions.  I've been going to Grady since I was diagnosed with glaucoma in 2011.  The prescription benefit has either been $3 a prescription or full price depending on income.  I ordered from a Canadian pharmacy when my income put me on the full price plan. 

Today, after I got my prescription, I was told, "Beginning April first prescriptions will be five dollars each".  I thanked her for the heads up.  Now I'll pay ten dollars for my eye drops instead of six.  It doesn't sound like a lot of money but it is a 66% increase.

I am glad they didn't skyrocket the way Beazle's medicine did.  She used to get a ninety-day supply of one of her medications for three dollars, according to her.  When she went to refill this particular prescription a couple weeks ago she said they wanted sixty dollars.  I told her it was because of obamacare.  She thinks the pharmacy is just being gready because obamacare is supposed to help people.  Yeah right!  Beazle had her doctor prescribe a different medication and she took it to a different pharmacy.  Now she pays twenty dollars for a ninety-day supply.  Again, it doesn't sound like a lot of money for a ninety-day supply but it's a 700% increase.  That kind of an increase is a lot for a retired person on a fixed income.

Remember Social Security gave a 1.5 cost of living increase this year.     

No comments:

Post a Comment