Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Another Kick in the Pants

I posted this on my "Blind as Eye Look" Facebook page.  I think it's worth posting here in case there's a different audience.  

Getty just shop all stock photographers in the foot. they're offering 35 million stock photos online for free. They say because people used to copy and paste them anyway. So they think rewarding them is the answer? They should crack down the way the RIAA did with music a decade ago. I've never contributed to Getty thank goodness. They still have images for sale but they think offering all these free ones will enhance sales. Bull. People will get the free images and look for more. I don't think many will even take a look at the paid once. They say the free images are only for noncommercial use, yet right; if people stole in the past they'll steal in the future, but now with Getty's blessing. http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/06/tech/social-media/getty-free-pictures/

to add to the facebook post I'll give a personal experience.  Once I let Fotolia offer an image in their free section.  I had hundreds of downloads.  Was there an increase in sales of regular portfolio files? No.  Was there and increase in views of regular portfolie files?  The answer again is no>  

Each agency will offer a few free images voluntarily offered by the photographer.  I feel that is enough free material to offer.  We are already competing with everybody and his brother for pictures due to cameras being put on phones and tablets.  I say take your own pictures or pay for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment