Monday, December 2, 2013

Healthcare Exemption

I stumbled upon this while on the obamacare website.  It tells how a person can be exempt from the fine for not having health insurance.  https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions/.  

I qualify for a couple reasons right off the bat; I bet our creative minds could come up with several ways to qualify for exemptions.  Lets see.

The death of a close family member can be an exemption.  Well that man them mentioned in the news last night was like a brother to me.

Wait until you receive a shut-off notice before you pay your utility bills.  Getting a shut-off notice will exempt you.

Call you doctors to make sure you didn't forget to pay a bill in the last two years.  If you have medical bils you can't pay from no longer than two years ago, you can get an exemption.

Become Amish.

If you're incarsarated you're exempt.

And my favorite....You're not lawfully present in the U.S.  And who says crime, no matter how small doesn't pay? 

In my opinion health insurgence is a scam.  I've held this opinion for as long as I can remember.  It's the biggest buggy man scare tactic to ever take on a life of its own.  Those fears have led us to the disaster we're faced with today. 

After listening to radio hosts and callers complain about obamacare I decided I'd probably end up paying the fine.  The fine works out to be more cost effective than the reports I heard on premium costs. 

I did my research.  First I called Blue Cross Blue Shield for a quote.  Ouch, sticker shock even with subsidy.  $5??.?? without subsidy and $3??.?? with subsidy.  They didn't have any information about coverage or deductibles.  Along the was the Feds revamped everything.  The Blue Cross agent tells me they now have all the information and things have changed.  They sure did.  Premium now between $185 and $195 depending on plan.   The Deductible is $750 for medical and $750 for prescriptions.  Co-payments are between $20 and $35 depending on plan.  Not terrible but still expensive for me considering I wouldn't meet my deductibles.    This was the first week in October so the website was impossible to use.  "You can't get it yet, " the agent informed me, "The website is still down."  I asked couldn't I get it through him.  He said no.  Even though it's a Blue Cross plan you've got to go through the exchanges.

After a few tries I finally was able to get through the website all the way.  That was today, December2, 2013; two months after the Anointed one said it would be up and running.  I did two applications because I didn't like the outcome of the first one.  The first one gave me no subsidies with premiums between $322 a month and somewhere in the high $500's.  The lowest deductable was in the mid $4000's.  Year right.  My results also said I may qualify for medicaid.  I filled out the form again, this time saying I plan to file a tax return in 2014.  This time it said I could be elegable for Medicaid and that was it; no plans, nothing else. 

So I go back to my Blue Cross Emails curious to see what will happen.  Nothing happened, nada, not a thing.  I click on "Apply Now" beside the plan I want, directed to the Blue Cross site, create another profile, put in PIN from my email, click submit.  My plans comes up but the "Apply now on the Exchange button is grayed out.  Yep another whoop to jumpthrough later; the reason I'm more than likely going to be exempt.  


No comments:

Post a Comment