Wednesday, July 31, 2013

If it Ain't Broke......

When will they learn?  Do they need to keep tweeking their sites to keep their jobs?  Get a good site and they change it.  Never fails.

Most of you know how FaceBook just can't leave their site alone.  I check my page daily but I'm not a power user.  The only difference I noticed on the last change was notifications was moved from the left side of the page to the right side and the little icons looked a little different. 

Pond5 spent months developing it's new version.  I tried the new version but preferred the old except for one feature.  Luckily they kept both versions runing so we can switch back and forth. 

Yesterday Smugmug announced the unveiling of its new site.  I must have been under a rock; I didn't even know a change was in the works.  The new site was touted to be fully customizable and the customization much easier than the old version.  I was excited to get started but couldn't last night.  Smugmug had to first import my images and settings into the new site and that took half of forever.  I went to bed with it still transferring.

Today I found the new site just as difficult to customize as the old site had been. On top of that they renamed the photo organization.  The old version had Categories with Galleries in each category.  The new version calls Categories, folders.  It put all my pictures in folders and left the gallery section empty.  Why do they have both?  One of the other unless I'm missing something.

People on FaceBook talking about the troubles they're having with the new Smugmug.  Once we get used to it there will be no real difference between the old version and the new. 

People wish for new features.  We want better functionality.  We want to keep up with technology.  Most of all we want it to work properly without a lot of effort or learning curve.  I believe developers can integrate our wants and needs into their tried and true platform.  Why revamp everything so you'll have bugs to fix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment