Thursday, July 25, 2013

How To Overcome

I thought Andrea would be the last one to make a sterotypical comment about a blind person.  Where did I go wrong.  I thought she'd know better.

When baking cakes for a fundraiser Andrea's friends at church asked her, "Did your mom teach you how to cook before she went blind?"  They were surprised to learn I was born legally blind and could still teach Andrea to cook.  Andrea was surprised at the ignorance about blind people and their capabilities. 

Yesterday we're on the train and andrea says, "There's a blind lady on the train.  She's really well dressed too."

Thinking she would describe a knock out tailored suit or sexy dress I ask, "What is she wearing?"

"A pink T-shirt, white shorts and white shoes."

"What's so special about that?" I ask.

"It's not mismatched," Andrea says. 

What!  Just because she's blind doesn't automatically mean mismatched outfits.  She should know better.  I haven't done my job.  No wonder employers think we can't do the job. 

I'm taking her to the next GFB and GCB activities.  She needs to see more blind people in action.  Between me, her Aunt Constance, Cousin Harold, and grandfather she should know and expect more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment