Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Life Dreams

 
My sister posted this video on Facebook.  How many of us would name the same thing we're doing now?  Unfortunately, not many.  Life gets in the way;  keeping a roof over our heads and putting food on the table takes president over pursuing our passions.
For the past week Herman Cain has been talking about pursuing your passion.  He mentioned an article he read that said how people can't pursue their passions because passion and practicality seldom mix. 
People in the limelight say they are doing what they love.  Rush Limbaugh said he knew he wanted to be on the radio since he was a child.  Julia Child wanted to learn French cookery and look at what she achieved.  LeBron James enjoyed playing basketball and now he's in the NBA.  But what about the rest of us?
Beazle always wanted to open a restaurant.  I know she tried once but got caught up in bureaucratic red tape.  I was quite young so I don't know the details.  I know she rented a building and fixtures; then boom, it didn't happen.
My sister loves to write poetry.  She even got a few books published.  She gets a royalty check now and then but not enough to live on.  Despite the fact she has a Ph.D. in Creative Writing, she is back in school getting a degree in Social Work.  
Buy Protocol For Touch 

Buy Blessings And Inclemencies








Buy Two Rooms





I went to school with a guy that has for the most part followed his dream.  At school he wanted to be a concert pianist.  He did all the right things; practiced diligently, went to a prestigious music college, Indiana University Jacobs School of Music in Bloomington, Indiana, and performed when and where he could.  He put that dream aside to produce contemporary popular music.  Presently he is on tour with two of the artists he produces. His website tells all about him and the tour.  I think he is enjoying contemporary music producing but it seems his passion is still classical music.  A few years ago he got into Juilliard.  I don't know if he got a degree from there though.  Bottom line he is still doing the contemporary music production.   Is he doing what he loves?  I think so.

  Buy Rod's latest album.



Then there's me.  I have the luxury of being a stock photographer.  I love photography but don't have the luxury of much travel.  I'm not much of a people person so events have a good chance of being out as well.  However I am considering shooting a few events to see how it goes.  Shooting stock, I can shoot anything and everything.  There's no telling what someone will want and this has been proven in some of my sales.  As I've said before, nobody is going to hire me so I hired myself.  I've started referring to myself as a photographer and calling Blind as Eye Look my business.  Do I make enough to live on?  No.  Will I ever make enough to live on?  Probably not.  Will I make enough to supplement my income?  Not yet, but quite possibly.  See my ever changing portfolio on Pond5.
 
One of my friends from North Carolina called me last night.  We had a long conversation along these same lines.  She is living in a small town where she feels she has no support.  Recently she had som serious health issues and she couldn't get anyone to help her out.  She was not contegious.  The cost of living is quite reasonable and that is one of the things she likes about living there.  She has a great doctor and her son will be in braces for a long time still.  My friend wants to move back to the Metro Atlanta area where she has family and friends.  the cost of living is much higher and she's afraid once her bills are paid there will be nothing left for anything else.  If money were no object she'd move in a heartbeat and work out the medical situation later.  Because money is a big object her decision is daunting.  Pros and cons are about even/ which is more important, peace of mind of financial stability, quality of life or being near friends and family?  She is having a hard time deciding whether to move or to stay put.  

Her serious medical conditions won't allow her to seek regular employment.  Some days she's just fine and could get up and go to work.  Other days she just can't; she's too weak and in too much pain.  She suppliments her income by selling party plan items.  She believes in the products and thinks she can turn it into a viable income producer.  You can order her products online as well.

So, here are my questions for you.  What would you do if money were no object?  Are you doing what you love?  If so, part time or full time.  If no, why not?  Do you know many people who ARE doing what they love?  My guess will be that most are doing what it takes to make ends meet and have a hobby doing what they enjoy.  Sad but true.  

No comments:

Post a Comment