Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Volleyball Team

I get an email saying Georgia Cyber Academy is getting up a volleyball team.  They will practice twice a week in Marietta, about forty miles northwest of us.  There will be twelve spots on the team and tryouts are September 3rd at 9:30 a.m.  The cost is $150.

I had read somewhere how there must be equal dollar amounts for girls college athletic scholarships as for boys.  And since there are far fewer girls on high school teams a girl is a shoe in for an athletic scholarship.  With this in mind I show Andrea the email and asked her if she wanted to try out.  She said she did and told all her friends she was going to try out for the volleyball team. 

The neighborhood teens took this as an oppertunity to torture her.  They set out to whip Andrea into shape.  Like all good coaches they made her run laps around our part of the neighborhood. 

I did my part by getting us a ride to practices and games.  Yay me!  Our neighbor across the street said she would drive there and Andrea will drive back. 

So we head out.  We thought we were prepared.  GPS said 42 minutes to get there.  We allowed an hour.  With rush hour Atlanta traffic we were late.  We should have allowed an hour and a half. 

There were some really good players and others who'd move out of the way when the ball came near them.  Some played all over the court, trying to keep the ball from hitting the floor.  I saw one girl let the ball bounce right by her.  Like most, Andrea was in the middle when it came to skill and aggression.  I didn't know how it would go until they called her name. 

She is so excited.  "I'm on a sports team!" she enthused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment