Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Remembering The Past

I found a Facebook page called "Your Probably from Pine bluff, Arkansas If......" they took me down memory lane.  There people post about things they remember about Pine Bluff when it was a great city.  The more I read and posted the more I remembered.  Memories of Pine Bluff are bittersweet, though I wouldn't move back as long as it's in its present condition, I do yearn for those long ago days.  Now I'm beginning to sound like John Boy Walton. 

Here is the full link to the page I mentioned.https://www.facebook.com/groups/148223528591521/?fref=ts  click on it or copy and past in into your browser to see the page.  I think most of my readers are from Pine Bluff so you'll get a kick out of it.  I will re-post some of my memories here.  Check out the page for many others from people who remember Pine Bluff in it's heyday.


Your mom went to work at Oak Flooring because they started hiring women and the pay was $1.40 an hour. This was in the mid 60's. She said that was much better pay than private homes. 


Nickle Cokes were six ounces, dime Cokes were ten ounces and king size Cokes were sixteen ounces. Don't remember the price. You paid a deposit on the bottles so next time you wanted a pop you brought the bottle back so you didn't owe a deposit. You could also earn money by collecting and returning empty pop bottles. Just about any grocery store or gas station would take them, chain store or mom and pop. 


When Coleman School was grades 1-12.


Taking your kids to Miss Ann's story time at the library. And the yearly pet show when they could bring thier favorite pets, live or stuffed.


Remember the ice storm of 2000? We lost electricity for a week. Some relatives came to out house because we had a wood heater, and the shouts for joy when the power came back on.


If you participated in or listened to The Trading Post or Swap Shop on the radio. I remember this little kid calling in with a cat to give away. The kid was in tears the whole time and at the end the kid said, "It's a good kitty cat." I wouldn't have called even if I wanted a cat.


You remember the Mad Butcher's laugh.
  

You remember when Irish Maid Donuts was on 6th and they stayed open all day.
 Wanda Merritt Anthony
KOTN when Buddy Dean did the morning Show. Also when they did the top 30 countdown and you could get a copy of the top 30 hit list at most record departments.
Wanda Merritt Anthony
Do you remember downtown when all the stores were still in business? My daughter saw a picture of Kresses from way back when they have on the old building. She remarked how that building is going to look good once they renovate it.










No comments:

Post a Comment