Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Differences I Think You Need to Know

Hootenanny And Hoedown.  Wikipedia bears me out on some of this, as you know, only the parts I agree with on Wikipedia are correct.  A chili cook off and hoedown was announced at church.  I got all excited because I love country dancing and square dancing, chili I can take or leave.  I even wore me Scottishs plaid shirt.  Imagine my chagrin when the hoedown turned out to be a hootenanny.

What's the difference you say?  Well, let me enlighten you.  You dance at a hoedown and sing at a hootenanny.  You may sing at a hoedown but the primary activity is dancing.  Everybody can dance or not, it's up to you.  Singing may accompany instruments or not.  You don't dance at a hootenanny.  You listen to others sing songs everybody knows or you sing as well.  Either way I was dressed for the part.   Wiki attributes both the the Scotts and Appalachia. 

Who won the chili cook off?  I have no idea.  If I remember correctly it was the same person who won last year. 

Shut Up And Eat It, Glop, and Catch As Catch Can.  If you're hungry this may kill you appetite.  Shut up and eat it comes from my friend, Shirley's, mom.  Shirley says this is what her mom told Shirley and her sister when they complained about having to eat leftovers.

Glop was named by me.  Basically glop is the sound casserole makes when it hits the plate.  So glop is a synonym for casserole.  If you make glop from leftovers it could become shut up and eat it very quickly.  Leftover shut up and eat it becomes a tasty treat for the dog.  Don't have a dog, get one.  You've got to guard against the day you are faced with reheated leftover shut up and eat it glop.

You'll be glad to know you have control over catch as catch can.  Catch as catch can is whatever you make for yourself because no one else is going to cook.  You can simply make yourself a sandwich, cook something tasty, or eat chips and peanut butter, it's up to you.  So if you find yourself eating glop or shut up and eat it for catch as catch can, it's your own fault.

Blind and Legally Blind.  I copied this from http://lighthouse.org/about-low-vision-blindness/definition-legal-blindness/ to make sure I got the angle right.
legal blindness continues to be defined as best corrected visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye; or a visual field limitation such that the widest diameter of the visual field, in the better eye, subtends an angle no greater than 20 degrees, as measured with a Goldmann III4e or equivalent size stimulus.
Usually blind refers to someone who can't see at all.  Legally blind covers all kinds of low vision.  My daughter is legally blind without her glasses.  She is just fine with them.  My best eye is around 20/400 with glasses and my worse eye is about 20/638 with glasses.  People with narrow angles of view may be able to see 20/20 through the view they do have.  

Modem And CPU.  Only a very few of you need this one so I'll keep it short and sweet.  Your modem connects you to the internet or home network.  Usually your modem is inside your CPU.  The CPU is the box with all those cords and cables coming out of it.  You put CDs and DVDs into your CPU.  Your CPU houses gizmos like your mother board, heat sink, and heaven only knows what else.  Most important things on the CPU are the power button and those front USB ports. 

No comments:

Post a Comment